13 September 2019

Fall 2019 : Exhibits and a Residency

It has been a while since my last post. Summer 2019 was busy with teaching and teaching related travel. I didn't seem to find time to write blog posts but I did post on Instagram and you can catch up there if you feel so inclined!

This Fall brings some fun exhibits and an artist residency.


Hemingway and the Art of Awareness, No. 6

Coming up in October at the de Saisset Museum at Santa Clara University is a compelling book arts exhibit including my work:

Unbound: The Art of Deterioration
Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, CA
October 4th - December 6th, 2019
Opening Reception: Thursday, October 3rd
Member's Preview: 6:00 - 7:00
Public Opening Reception: 7:00 - 8:30


There will be a number of my Bibliomuse series pieces in that exhibit.


Hemingway and the Art of Awareness, No. 1-6


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


This summer I began an Artist's Residency at the Santa Cruz Resource Recovery Facility, a.k.a. the Dump! The program is called the Santa Cruz Recycled Art Program (SCRAP) and is loosely modeled on the 25 year plus Recology Program in San Francisco. 




Me pondering the wood pile. Photo by fellow resident Janet Fine


Artists in the SCRAP program are given access to most of the items brought to the Santa Cruz Dimeo Lane facility. There are wood and metal piles, plastic and cardboard bins, electronics, paper, dirt piles, etc., and a tipping station where Santa Cruz residents bring just about anything you can think of that they need to get rid of - this is where we find the really interesting stuff.

While we are allowed to glean most anything as art supplies from the dump we are expected to use our own studio spaces to create.






We gained access to the facility in late July 2019 and the residency will culminate in a exhibit at the R. Blitzer Gallery in Santa Cruz in December 2019:

Santa Cruz Recycled Art Program (SCRAP)
Santa Cruz, CA
December 6th - 28th
Opening Reception: First Friday, December 6th
5:00 - 9:00







The dominant material that has attracted me at the dump is tar paper which is what you are seeing in these photos. Circles, numbers, dirt, and misc. objects have also been following me back to my studio. I've been making books, boxes and wall pieces with the tar paper and stenciling with found objects and painting with dirt. I don't want to give too much away so I will let these images speak from themselves for now, and hope that you'll come to the exhibit to see my installation in December. 







I have also have been posting images on Instagram and will continue to do so as I reveal more about the project leading up to the exhibit.
 


 











No comments:

Post a Comment