29 January 2016

Spring 2016 Workshops


And, there are a few workshops outside of the studio I want to make sure you know about.

This Spring I am bringing back a couple of workshops that I haven't taught in two years: Origami Travel Notebook and Stitched Photo Collage.


Origami Travel Notebook

Origami Travel Notebook is a structure that I devised to hold signatures that are made up of a traditional Japanese folding technique that contains many useful pockets. They can stand on their own as pamphlets or portfolios or they can be sewn into a larger structure as signatures. There are also blank pages incorporated into the structure. The pockets and the blank pages together make for a great structure for traveling - jotting down notes, writing, sketching and a place to stash tickets, maps and other findings.


Stitched Photo Collage

The Stitched Photo Collage was a student favorite for many years but I gave it a little break. A few of my newer students requested that I teach it again. It is a fun way to incorporate fabric, thread, book pages, photographs and other ephemera into pieces that can then be part of a book or a wall piece.


Boro Bags

A new workshop is Boro Bags that is proving to be very popular (I ran a "beta" session in January and students loved it!). Both dates are already full but I may add more so get on the waitlist to be the first to hear if I add more dates. In this class I share what I know about Boro textiles (I'm still learning more all the time!) and then students use a length of cloth as a sampler to learn the stitching and mending techniques seen in Boro textiles. At the end of the class the lengths of cloth are made into bags! Students have their choice of one of two traditional Japanese bags that are simple but ingenious in their design. The bags can be used as book bags, project bags, or for shopping or a very fancy gift wrapping.


Carousel Books by Jennie Hinchcliff

Last, but definitely not least, is my guest instructor extraordinaire Jennie Hinchcliff. She will be teaching Creative Carousel Books: Layers and Windows. Jennie is so much fun and such a great teacher. If you are in the area you don't want to miss this one!

I also have two teaching/traveling workshops scheduled:

Mountain Maid Workshops is a new program in the Grass Valley/Nevada City, California area. I will be teaching Boro Bags there on April 23rd. This will be a nice opportunity to take this class if you are outside of the Wishi Washi Studio area.



Boro Bag

And, I'm thrilled to be teaching the Boro Sampler Book at Squam Art Retreats in June. They are located in New Hampshire...on a lake! Students pick their choice of two one-day classes from a stellar line-up of instructors. I'm very much looking forward to being in New England again.

Boro Books

If you are no where near any of these venues remember that I have classes online at Creativebug

I hope to make something with you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment