30 January 2017

Winter/Spring 2017 Workshops

I was very selective when planning my teaching schedule this Winter/Spring so that I could concentrate on other projects.

As a result, I am only teaching in three venues between now and mid-June. I hope you can join me in one, or more, of these workshops:


"Essential" - made from a deconstructed dress and bookskins



Creative Textiles: Deconstruction, Reconstruction and Re-Use
March 18th and 19th, 10:00 - 4:00
Cabrillo Arts, Aptos, CA

In this class we will play around with deconstructing garments as our starting point for your project which can be a piece for the wall, a bag, book, or item for the home. The pre-existing fade lines, shapes, seams, and tears offer endless inspiration. We will look at Japanese Boro textiles, Gee's Bend Quilts, and artists who work in this genre. I will demonstrate mending techniques, embroidery, stenciling, and block carving and printing to incorporate into your projects.

 
 
"Modern Library" made from old linen and bookskins


Boro Sampler Book
May 6th, 10:00 - 4:00
Bryant Street Studios, San Francisco, CA 

This has been such a popular workshop and this is my only scheduled date so far this year. Rhiannon's Bryant Street studio is spacious and wonderful with great light. I will bring my personal collection of Japanese boro textiles for inspiration and will teach you mending techniques that we will incorporate into a Boro Sampler Book. This is great class for beginning and experienced stitchers alike. It has applications for book arts, garment repair and adornment, and the aesthetic may be applied to drawing, printmaking and painting. Textiles and/or paper may be used in this technique.


"Maxwell" made from garment pieces, bookskins and other textiles


The Boro Aesthetic: 
Creating Fiber Art Pieces Inspired by Japanese Textiles
June 4th - 10th
Gatlinburg, TN

This will be an immersive experience and I can't wait! We will begin by looking at Japanese boro textiles and then make the Boro Sampler Book so that you may learn the language of boro. Then we will deconstruct garments, learn some printing, image transfer, and stenciling techniques, add more fabric and found objects and then put it all back together again in the form of a book, wall piece or sculptural item. The result will be a very personal item with your imagery, stitches, ephemera and own personal aesthetic embedded in it.


I hope that you can join me at one of these wonderful venues. And, I know I keep reminding you about this, but it is such a great resource no matter where you are: I have classes available on Creativebug, an online learning site where I am in amazing company with some truly stellar instructors.

 

3 comments:

  1. Shared on Facebook group Boro. Inspirational+++

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a nice article. Art shows are my favorite and I love being a part of such events. Sometimes I too participate in these shows. There was a gallery show recently at Chicago event space and I also presented my snow fall themed oil paintings. People appreciated my work a lot.

    ReplyDelete