13 July 2013

bookcloth

We had some bookcloth-making going on in Wishi Washi Studio this weekend.  This is a great way to personalize a bookmaking project - with bookcloth that is all your own.  You can use fabric from old clothes, vintage cloth or the myriad of beautiful new designs that are available these days.

a roll of dyed Japanese fabric belonging to one student - I now have a little piece of this!


If you try to glue up plain cloth and use it to cover bookboard you will end up with glue seeping through the cloth and you will have problems folding the cloth around the board and making neat corners.  The technique we used is based on the traditional Japanese way to make bookcloth.

I began my morning by whipping up some wheat paste



and, with tools gathered we were ready to go



students arrived with the most amazing fabrics

 there were pieces of batik and toile...



and one student brought the most beautiful Japanese fabrics...some were woven patterns and some were dyed...gorgeous:



here is one student in action





by the afternoon each student had a bunch of pieces of cardboard that looked like this:





 after these dry the fabric will be cut out and ready to accept glue and cover bookboard.  Most of the students in this class will be back next week to make Coptic Bound books with their customized book cloth. So, be sure to check back in to see their final projects.


If you missed out on today or aren't in the area - I teach this class on Creativebug.  Learn how to do this anytime...anywhere...


2 comments:

  1. I am thrilled to have found this technique on creativebug, and am well into making my first Coptic style book. However, I am a little uncertain about the pressing time for the covers as well as for the completed book. Is overnight sufficient?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine,

    This is probably too late - but, yes, overnight is just right and what I usually do. So glad you are taking these classes. Let me know if you have any other questions (I just don't check blogger that often - but I will get back to you!) Please share your projects on Creativebug, too. They have a student gallery. - jody

    ReplyDelete