19 August 2013

Book in Painting: Getty Center

I took a little road trip to Southern California last week and visited friends, family and two amazing museums: The Getty Center and The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens.


The Getty Center 


 Both the Getty and the Huntington are like Disneyland for art-loving adults. The Getty even has a tram - kind of like the monorail! Both institutions also allow photography of items in their collections. While I wanted to take pictures of everything that delighted me there was just too much and I wondered how I was going to limit myself. Then I noticed a beautiful little book in a Medieval painting, and then another and another.  I had a theme for the day.

Equally delightful as the books in the paintings are the hands, clothes and textures surrounding them.  
 
Following are "book in painting" from The Getty Center. 
 
Enjoy:






 






I apologize for not recording the artist and title of each painting but that would have made my fun little project burdensome...and I was on vacation after all!
 
Next week I will post: Book in Painting: Huntington.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment