27 August 2013

Book in Painting: The Huntington

 Last week I shared the photographs I took of books in paintings at the Getty Center (Book in Painting: Getty Center) and promised to share pictures from The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens this week.

The Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens

The Huntington is more than a library and a museum. There are numerous buildings full of treasures to explore as well as an arboretum and garden after garden after garden full of plants from around the globe, ponds, bonsai,rock gardens, giant bamboo...it is truly incredible. If you plan to visit be sure to give yourself an entire day.

Having visited The Getty Center the day before and discovered the treasury of books in paintings I wondered if I would find the same here. Well, of course, I did!

Here is a selections of "book in painting" from The Huntington Collection:




 





And, my favorite because it has a book, scissors, thread, thimbles and nimble hands:


And, again, I apologize for not recording artists and titles but was just enjoying being in the moment and the presence and these treasures.

At the time of our visit the library was closed but they did have two spectacular book exhibits open. We'll see if I have the stamina to keep posting in this series and share what I saw there.

No comments:

Post a Comment