26 October 2015

Pochoir Sampler Book with Macy Chadwick


Macy Chadwick, of In Cahoots Press, returned to Wishi Washi Studio this past Saturday to teach the Pochoir Sampler Book Workshop.

Pochoir is a hand stenciling technique used to create prints, or to add color to existing prints. Read more about Pochoir here.


Macy Chadwick - Topography of Home

Above and below are cutouts with pochoir inserts from pages of Macy's stunning artist's book entitled: Topography of Home.


Macy Chadwick - Topography of Home


Pochoir allows for a delicate control of color - at once subtle and vibrant. It is a great way to get color and repeated imagery into your book projects but also has applications for printmaking and for textile pieces.

When guest instructors teach in my studio I am hostess, assistant, and student all in one. It is a great mix and I always love to play along with the other students. I came totally unprepared, though, with no images in mind to work with so I pulled out some photocopies of the Vessel People I was drawing and printing a couple of years ago.

My Vessel People proved to be perfect for a beginning Pochoir student as they were very simple shapes and easy to make into hand-cut stencils.




We cut stencils in a few different ways using different materials




We created imagery on diaphanous book pages using our pochoir techniques




and, then we bound them into an accordion book structures with pockets to hold our stencils. How brilliant is that?


Completed Pochoir Sampler Book by Janis O'Driscoll

Layering the stencils creates a nice effect as does layering the pages


My four sections shown layered before I bound them into the sampler book

Macy is such a great teacher and I can't wait to have her come back and teach again.

Next up in Wishi Washi Studio is Crossed Structure Binding taught by me on November 14th, followed by Courtney Cerruti's Playing with Image Transfers - Accordion Style on November 21st. Each workshop has just one space available! Go here to register.

See you in the studio...






No comments:

Post a Comment