30 April 2013

Wishi Washi in PDX

Last Friday I flew to Portland, Oregon to teach a basic bookbinding workshop to Orchestral Librarians.  They were having their annual conference of the Major Orchestral Librarian Association (MOLA), and the President, my friend Ella, invited me to come and teach.  These librarians are faced with producing, binding and repairing scores that are used by the musicians and conductors of their orchestras.  They came from all over the world.

scores on a symphony library shelf

I taught in the hotel conference room which had black table cloths, lots of glasses and water pitchers and low lighting.  Not ideal for teaching bookmaking but we made do.  Here are pics of before, during and after the workshop:




It was a great group and everyone worked hard, learned a lot and made two books!

Then, I was left with a full day before my flight to explore Portland.  I love walking and exploring cities and these are some of the sights I saw:




 

 I got to visit Powell's Books - kind of a mecca for me - I spent hours there:


A great, quick, head-clearing trip!  Now back at Wishi Washi Studio and ready for my May workshops.




No comments:

Post a Comment